Live, Eat and Travel: Implementing the European Green Deal
Following the UACES Annual Conference in September 2021, we are planning an author workshop through the UACES Research Network “The Role of Europe in Global Challenges: Climate Change and Sustainable Development”. The workshop participants will work towards a joint publication project, such as a special issue or an edited book.
As the host institution is “The Institute for Housing and Environment”, this workshop will focus on the topic of housing and buildings, but also cover agriculture and mobility policy in the context of the European Green Deal.
The European Commission launched the European Green Deal (EGD) in December 2019 in order to set the European Union on a firm path towards sustainability. While there are vibrant scholarly debates on issues around climate change, the energy transition and biodiversity, other areas that affect how we live, eat and travel have received less attention. To address this imbalance, this panel will focus on three key policy areas with high relevance for achieving the ambitious targets of the EGD:
housing/buildings, agriculture and mobility.
Papers in this workshop will address the prospects for successful implementation of the EGD in any one of these three policy areas, focusing on any of the following aspects:
• Task allocation across multiple levels of governance, including issues of subsidiarity
• Implementation across the Member States, including how the EGD interacts with national circumstances
• The role of sub-national actors, including regions and cities
• The interaction between technical and governance issues (e.g., monitoring, standard-setting, etc.)
• Steering mechanisms (hard and soft approaches) and policy instruments
• The role of different actors and institutions
Call for contributions
Please send your submissions to Dr Rosa Fernandez (email@example.com), Dr Jonas Schoenefeld (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to Dr Thomas Hoerber (Thomas.Hoerber@essca.fr): Paper title, abstract (400 words max), author(s) & their affiliation(s), contact details
Follow the UACES Research Network ‘The Role of Europe in Global Challenges: Climate Change and Sustainable Development’ on Twitter: @eu_clim