Salary: c. £25k depending on experience with generous holiday allowances and pension contributions.
Are you an organised and efficient event planner who loves providing excellent customer service? Then this is the job for you. The right candidate will have an interest in working in the higher education sector, administrative experience and a passion to promote knowledge and understanding of Europe and the European Union.
Purpose of the Role
We’re looking for an Events & Membership Officer who will organise our events and conferences to the highest standards and provide excellent support to our members. You’ll join UACES at an exciting time as we embark on two newly-funded projects and look to secure the future of European Studies in the UK and beyond post-Brexit.
- Organising and planning the UACES Annual Conference
- Organising other events administered by UACES
- Supporting events sponsored by UACES
- Membership administration including maintaining the members’ database, processing renewals and new memberships
- Providing support to existing members of UACES
- Administration of the UACES prizes
- General administrative tasks, including attending Trustees’ meetings and taking minutes
Key Skills and Attributes
We're looking for Events & Membership Officer who can show ability in a range of areas including:
- Conference Organisation and planning
- Event Promotion
- Communication with members
- Customer support
- Solid administrative experience – in particular dealing with email correspondence, minute-taking, use of databases
Ideally, you’ll be someone with:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good collaboration and other teamworking skills
- A real passion for events organising and providing excellent support to members
- An interest in academia, higher education and/or European studies.
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks as is required in a small organisation
- The ability and professionalism to represent UACES at a range of events
UACES is a membership organisation for academics working in the area of European Studies. We have around 1100 members from across the UK and Europe from a range of different career stages and institutions. We run conferences, events and administer funding schemes to support our members in their study. The Annual Conference is our biggest event each year and is attended by c. 450 delegates. Recent conference locations have included Lisbon, Bath and Krakow. The 2020 Annual Conference takes place in Belfast in September. UACES is run by a small team of staff and a dedicated committee of trustees, headed by the UACES Officers.
For an informal chat about the role, please contact Emily Linnemann (Executive Director) – 020 7419 5446.
What we Offer
- Generous holiday allowance – All colleagues start at 31 days plus 8 bank holidays (pro-rata).
- Flexi-time – We are happy to discuss any flexitime arrangements that might be required.
- Flexible working – Have to work from home from time to time? We’ll help you find a solution which works best for you and us.
- Access to training together with other learning and career development opportunities
- Pension scheme – you put in 5%, we’ll put in 10%.
- Regular reviews with the UACES officers and more informally with the Executive Director
- A small supportive team and a friendly working environment
Diversity and Equal Opportunities
UACES is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We welcome applications for this role from people who are under-represented in academia including women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQI+ and people with disabilities.
The closing date for applications is midday on Tuesday 8 October 2019. Interviews are scheduled for Wednesday 23 October 2019.