Call for JCMS Book Review Editors
Book Review Editors
UACES and Wiley are seeking applications for book review editors for the JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies.
JCMS is a leading multidisciplinary journal that publishes high quality and accessible articles advancing debates in European and comparative regionalism studies. JCMS seeks to reach beyond the traditional grounding of the field, which focuses on the politics European Integration.
The book review section complements the articles published in the other sections of the journal and provides a useful tool for researchers wishing to keep up-to-date with the latest publications in the field.
We are looking for applications from teams of 2 people who are able to take on the role from 1 January 2023. The term is initially for 3 years, with the option to extend until 31 December 2027 if mutually agreeable.
The book review editors will work closely with the editors Prof Paul James Cardwell, Prof Roberta Guerrina and Dr Gabriel Siles-Brügge to ensure that the book reviews published are of a high standard and fit within the overall remit of JCMS.
Book Review Editors will be expected to:
- Keep up to date with the latest publications in the field
- Commission reviews
- Maintain open channels of communication with book reviewers, the journal editors and academic publishers
- Work with book reviewers to ensure timely submission of reviews
- Read and feedback on draft submissions
- Work with book reviewers to ensure that any edits required are made in a timely fashion
- Submit articles to the production team via scholar one
- Promote reviews via social media and their networks after publication
Wiley provides support with copy editing, proofreading and production of reviews prior to publication.
The ideal candidates will possess the following:
- A good understanding of the academic field of European Studies and Comparative Regionalism (including international relations, politics, political economy, economics, law and sociology)
- An established network of contacts in the discipline(s) above, or evidence of a developing network
- The ability to bring in new contributors to the journal as reviewers
- The ability to work to deadlines and to manage others to work to deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- A commitment to advancing Equality, Diversity and Inclusion within the journal and within the field of European Studies
The JCMS editors, Wiley and UACES are interested in rethinking our approach to book reviews and we would encourage applications from a team that have innovative ideas or thoughts on how this section of the journal could be redeveloped.
We will accept applications from teams of 2 people. UACES and Wiley are committed to diversifying the field and equal representation in key posts. As such we encourage applications from teams involving people who are currently under-represented in European Studies. We encourage applicants to read the Aims and Scope of the JCMS on the homepage, and the recent Editorial where the new editors set out their mission.
To apply, please submit a copy of each of your CVs (no more than 4 pages) and a covering letter (no more than 2 pages) outlining what you as a team could bring to the role. Applications should be submitted to Dr Emily Linnemann (email@example.com) by 5pm GMT on 7 December 2022. Depending on the level of interest and the quality of applications, we may hold interviews with shortlisted teams in the week beginning 12 December.