PERSPECTIVES ON EUROPEAN FOREIGN POLICY
IN THE CONTEXT OF CURRENT EU-RUSSIA RELATIONS
1 Day Workshop - Friday 11 January 2019 - Leiden University, Netherlands
Leiden University, Cleveringaplaats 1, 2311 BD Leiden
Lipsius - room 227(2nd floor)
Background to the Event
The workshop is of relevance to scholars and practitioners. All three organisers conduct policy-relevant research and will use the workshop to ensure further fostering of the academic-practitioner dialogue.
This one-day workshop is organised by the editors of the Handbook on EU-Russian Relations (forthcoming 2019), Dr Tatiana Romanova (St. Petersburg State University) and Dr Maxine David (Leiden University), and the co-coordinator of the Jean Monnet Network on Research and Teaching EU Foreign Policy (NORTIA), Dr. Heidi Maurer (University of Oxford). The event is kindly supported by UACES small event funding.
09:00-09:30 Registration and Coffee
09:30-10:00 Welcome and Opening Remarks
Maxine David, Tatiana Romanova
10:00 - 11:30 Session 1: EU Foreign Policy 10 Years after Lisbon
Chair: Heidi Maurer
Speakers: John Bogaerts, Helene Sjursen, Tony van der Togt, Nicholas Wright,
- What are the most pressing challenges facing the EU and its Foreign Policy?
- Can the EU do something in 2019 that it couldn't do in 2009?
- Is the EU willing to do something more/different now than 10 years ago?
11:30 - 11:45 Break
11:45 - 13:15 Session 2: Foreign Policy Perspectives and Priorities
Chair: Tatiana Romanova
Speakers: Laure Delcour, Honorata Mazepus, Irina Petrova, Karolina Pomorska
- Similarities and differences: perspectives from the post-2004 member states & perspectives from the 15
- Perspectives from Russia & Perspectives from the Neighbourhood
- Reviewing and revising: Brussels and Moscow respond
13:15 - 14:15 Lunch
14:15 - 15:30 Session 3: Breaking Down Barriers: Empathetic Learning & the Importance of Role-Plays
Chair: Tuomas Forsberg
Speakers: Maxine David, Heidi Maurer, Marek Neuman, Tatiana Romanova,
- Teaching EU Foreign Policy
- Teaching EU-Russia relations in the EU context
- Teaching EU-Russia relations in the Russian context
- Role plays and simulations - learning and understanding
15:30 - 15:45 Break
15:45 - 17:00 Session 4: Looking Forward & (Re-)Building Bridges
Chair: Maxine David
Speakers: John Bogaerts, Tom Casier, Sandra Fernandes, Ivan Timofeev
- Prospects for European Foreign Policy & key relationships
- The OSCE and Council of Europe
- Securing Europe: the role of EU-Russia relations
17:00 - 17:30 Concluding Remarks
Maxine David, Heidi Maurer, Tatiana Romanova
Travel support for Student & Early-Career Membersis available for this event.